Is your budget busted from the holidays? Hood River has tons of free stuff to make your winter merry and bright. Here’s a quickie tour, all easily accessible from the front door of the Hood River Hotel.
- Art. Our two favorite destinations are the Columbia Arts Gallery, and The Pines 1852 Tasting Room, curated by John Roz.
- Frisbee Golf. OK, disc golf. We’ve got a great 9-hole course through the trees at the northwest corner of Wasco and 20th streets. Bring your own disc.
- Get wet. Hood River’s covered swimming pool features water much warmer than that of the Columbia River. Swim some laps, or just bob around. It’s free for kids 2 and under. Adults pay as little as $2.50. We know: That’s not FREE. But try swimming in a cup of coffee, which costs as much.
- Walk to Mosier and back. Park at the Hatfield Twin Tunnels trailhead and start walking along the car-free Historic Columbia River Highway road surface. Great views. Waterfall. Tunnels. Turn around when you’re half as tired as you want to be at the end of your walk.
- Read magazines, local and national newspapers or your favorite Hood River Hotel blog posts at the Hood River Library. The reading room features comfortable chairs and a great view of the Columbia River. Library cards cost nothing. Grab exchange books and magazines for free from the pile downstairs.